Friday 22 October 2010

JAY-Z – 99 PROBLEMS (ROC-A-FELLA RECORDS/MERCURY RECORDS/UNIVERSAL)


JAY-Z – 99 PROBLEMS (ROC-A-FELLA RECORDS/MERCURY RECORDS/UNIVERSAL)

I bought this disc on the internet from Germany.  That fact is of no significance to anything but I just like it.

When “99 Problems” arrived it was sonically the punchiest Jay-Z track to date.  With Rick Rubin manning the desk it was old school Def Jam exhibiting the kind of sample Run DMC would have chewed up and impaled back in the day.  Its all about the big beat, the boom.  The old school rolling drum machine.

A worrying aspect about my relationship with this song is how the bitch element of the piece didn’t occur to me in the least.  I only sensed myself being frowned upon when I presented the track as a possible play while DJing an indie gig.  The meaning of words really gets lost in hip hop.

So is this song misogynistic?  Being that rap frequently objectifies it could definitely be argued.  But where is the fun in that?  It’s a fine line.

Scepticism aside this single is home to some great lines such as “half a million bail ‘cos I’m African” and “they don’t play my hits, I don’t give a shit”.  Its brash and likeable.

Moving onto the video cred points are earned with the black and white technique coupled with sharing space with Vincent Gallo and Rubin himself.

For a punch and a charge you will never top a heavy metal guitar for such an explosive effect.  Rain down shame on the white people taking it seriously.

Thesaurus moment: rancorous.

No comments: