Sunday 17 June 2007

PHILISTINES JR – THE RUSSIANS BURNED MY UNCLE’S HOUSE DOWN (LISSY’S)



PHILISTINES JR – THE RUSSIANS BURNED MY UNCLE’S HOUSE DOWN (LISSY’S)

When I was at YT college I had a fanzine called Stagedive featuring an article about Philistines Jr. I could not afford to buy any of their records in order to satisfy my curiosity by now as I have reached affluence and could afford to purchase their records several times, I find a copy of this single of theirs reduced to 5p in the Notting Hill Music And Video Exchange.

In a rather sombre and staid delivery “The Russians Burned My Uncle’s House Down” is a solid narrative of a song with clear and confident storytelling that accompanies a happily affecting comfortable swing tune. If it were not for the groove, this record could easily fall into the slo-core category.

As things move onto the flipside with “Draussen Auf Kaution”, Philistines Jr become something of a louder affair reminding me slightly of Trumans Water in the loud but laidback motion accompanied by strange instruments and weirder noises all sung in a rather German method (very efficient and from the right side of the wall). Does anyone else remember the minor fixation lo-fi bands appeared to have with the German language around the mid nineties? Most definitely, Philistines Jr Ist Rad.

Thesaurus moment: eventually.

Philistines Jr
Lissy’s

No comments: