Friday 14 March 2008

THE WHITE STRIPES – BLUE ORCHID (XL RECORDINGS)


THE WHITE STRIPES – BLUE ORCHID (XL RECORDINGS)

Finally I have found a White Stripes song that I full on love.  The fact that it heavily reminds me of “Latin Roots” by Fugazi perhaps goes a long way to explaining my affection but still this is one hell of a stonking track.

So what is the secret?  I guess it’s the manner in which Jack White’s guitar stabs on the show as Meg White perfectly accommodates and accompanies.  This is a tight fucking duo.  And now I finally get it, I see why people have regularly lost their shit to this shit.

This is a dirty sounding track, probably as close to the blues as man can currently muster.  The pulse of its existence is the kind that makes a soul move, generates and rejuvenates.  To dance is unavoidable, the licks are those of a man grabbing the body and shaking.

So what’s it all about?  What is Jack singing?  What is on his mind?  Where’s the beef?  It’s about “you took a white orchid and turned it blue”.

To turn blue has never been a good thing.  It symbolises sadness, symbolises being cold and often the result of a change of circumstances/situation.  As Mr White begins stating “you got a reaction” there is little doubt this is anything but a bust up, the breakdown of a relationship, perhaps one DOA.  His is being sung/spoken to Meg?  Well she’s sat there at the back hitting the drums with a smile.  I’ve met a lot of women in the past that will do that.

As I say this is the White Stripes at their best.  This is a short sharp shock of an offering which is lean and doesn’t meander.  It’s a punch to the head designed to make you wince even when it’s just on record.  Solid.

Thesaurus moment:  frosty.

XL Recordings

No comments: