Saturday 2 February 2008

MISSION OF BURMA – DIRT (MATADOR RECORDS)


MISSION OF BURMA – DIRT (MATADOR RECORDS)

This is an incredible single.  I have to concede that I have taken more from the material of Mission Of Burma since they returned rather than when they initially/originally roamed the earth.

“Dirt” is a fierce full of empathy and resignation.  The lyrics and message are mature and reassuring seemingly aimed/offered to the listener at times of confusion and actions of irregularity by associates.  Lines such as “don’t waste your time, trying to find the reason why, they will do what they must do” coupled with the observation “it’s not fair, the only intention’s to hurt” are crisp and direct motions, the kind of words that abstain/absolve a mind and conscious of responsibility.

I regularly find myself coming back to this song every time I feel fucked over.  In many ways it is a sort of recovery anthem, a sonic pause for thought and empowerment gesture before gearing up to move on.  The fact that I am listening to this song and incriminating party is not often is all I need to satisfy my mind that what I am doing is right.  And what a potentially harmful thing that is.

Mission Of Burma will forever be a fantastic act.  They have done too much good stuff now to permanently blemish their legacy.  This is the handy mid point between Husker Du and REM that regularly comes with a side order of corruption and distortion.  It all unravels so well.

It’s not too late.

Thesaurus moment: clean.

Matador Records

No comments: