Tuesday 11 September 2007

REVEREND AND THE MAKERS – HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD (WALL OF SOUND)


REVEREND AND THE MAKERS – HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD (WALL OF SOUND)

It would seem I am destined to forever be haunted by this fucking record after attending Wall Of Sound for a job interview on the cusp of the release of this record. I never heard back from Wall Of Sound but I seem to be hearing this turgid piece shit every hour of every day on the radio now and it’s just getting me down. If you thought you hated the Arctic Monkeys, save that judgement for the impending album from this source.

Admittedly I did like this record for fifteen minutes when it seemed like it would be paying for my future and my kid’s future to some extent – the guy at the interview gleefully told me how it was “going to do 200,000 units” – but fuck wishes and fuck unfilled hopes held in the gripe of such callous hands.

Of course this is said mostly in jest, I am lost at sea currently and were it not for such reasons I would truly be judging this record on other merits. Such as the relatively pleasant disco-esqe bouncing bass that paves the way for the single to carry through, very reminiscent of an exact lift from Luscious Jackson of all people. Such sounds confuse the act notion and intentions of the record until that is “the Reverend” (what a wankerish name) takes over and spouts his patronising bullshit all over the pretty trad such Arctics fibre. Scratch everything I have already said about this record, I would have hated it anyway.

I think perhaps the fact that people are mistaking the Reverend’s voice for Simon Le Bon kind of immediately serves up a credibility DOA. I don’t think the world really needs some uppity lad on the dole telling the population how shit it is to have a career is really necessary right now in these times of tail spinning into recession. Especially one supposedly claiming to have written parts of the Arctic Monkeys record (obviously not the good bits).

The b-side features the glorious haircut John Cooper Clarke, now a happy resident of Colchester and one I love seeing strolling around town as if time had not taken its toll. It would have been nicer if his influence on the track was heavier but for the man to be dragged back into the charts, albeit by b-side, is a truly great thing and I hope it only serves to add a couple of years to his careers and a few more pounds to his bank account (coupled with the lush license of Evidently Chickentown to The Sopranos).

Were I ten years younger I would lap this shit up.

Thesaurus moment: predeveloped.

Reverend And The Makers
Wall Of Sound

No comments: