Tuesday 19 May 2009

BLACK FLAG – LOUIE LOUIE (SST RECORDS)


BLACK FLAG – LOUIE LOUIE (SST RECORDS)

Everyone learns a version of “Louie Louie” by The Kingsmen when they first get a guitar.  In theory it is the easiest song in the world to play and if you slow it down slightly you can also pass yourself off as playing “Smoke On The Water”.  This is a song for cheats.

At school for the longest time my friend Chris Wright and I were obsessed by this song.  You have to bear in mind this was the 90s and music was only available on physical formats and with that came limited selection.  We knew “Louie Louie” from the movies, mainly the trailer to Coupe De Ville and the party scene in Animal House, but could not procure the track anywhere.  Apparently it was on the soundtrack to Quadrophenia but that was Mod shit, stuff our parents and retro losers listened to.  We were not going to buy into that.  Also it was a double album, too expensive for our coffers.  Eventually I would finally own the track via a cheesy compilation entitled This Is…Son Of Cult Fiction but in many ways it was too late for that period of my life.  Before this I had purchased the Animal House soundtrack while on holiday in Florida after seeing “Louie Louie” in the tracklisting but in my misguided disappointment I emerged gutted that the version there was by John Belushi and not The Kingsmen.

By the time I got into Black Flag I was a much different person to who I was at school.  It would probably have benefited me to be into punk at school but better late than never during what I describe as my “wilderness years” between education and career I was now fostering a snide attitude which was not necessarily endearing me to my surroundings even though it was amusing it.

The Black Flag take on “Louie Louie” is unique and crushing.  No other band has delivered it in quite this way and indeed it was used in Old School as a direct and updated homage/recognition to Animal House.  When sung by these punkers with fresh bite the words still hold and fit – punkers fall in love too.  “You know the pain in my heart, it just shows I’m not very smart” is a line born to be used by dumb punk types as lyrically the band overhauls the tone and sentiments.  Later the line “who needs love when you’ve got a gun, who needs love to have any fun” shreds any soppy sensation before “screw it Louie” is screamed ahead of a destructive Ginn solo making the song his own.  Black Flag were officially well on the road to reconstructing rock and roll.

On the other side is an early version of “Damaged I” which would later become the theme and centre piece of their finest studio album of the same name.  Longer, slower and more measured than most of their material to date it exhibits a new heavy side of their personality dealing with danger and internal frustration.  This was the band moving onto progressive punk, inhabiting sludge and loving it.  Described as “wallowing trauma” it taps into our inner worst thoughts and hangs them like a Picasso.  In other words “as comforting as the screams that relieve pain”.

For years a copy of this seven inch sat in the racks of my local record store Time Records in Colchester.  It was the only Black Flag release I could see anywhere.  Unfortunately being old it was a collector’s piece and came with an inflated collector’s price tag which went against punk ethos but perhaps tapped into Ginn’s.  It went against the ethos and busted my brains, ignited my imagination as I needed to know what this legendary band sounded like.  Once heard I never went back.

Take the horrible and make it worse.

Thesaurus moment: wrench.

No comments: